Women in Technology - Friday Links 3 April 2020
Doctors, retail workers, and many, many more people are working very hard to help each and every one of us during these difficult times. And they should get all the recognition they deserve. So, to honor their efforts, artist Dustin Rogers (aka dustinteractive) from Columbus, Ohio, created a comic. The strip strikes a perfect balance between humor and compassion, and no wonder it went viral: https://www.instagram.com/p/B920CGApugV/?hl=en
Are you a teleworking parent with children? Good luck! The links below could help you...
- "Coco Virus", la BD qui explique le coronavirus aux enfants: https://www.cocovirus.net/
- Tips from the "She should run" team on how to work remotely: https://www.sheshouldrun.org/article/how-we-work-remotely
- How teenagers can protect their mental health during coronavirus (COVID-19) - Unicef shares 6 strategies for teens facing a new (temporary) normal: https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/how-teenagers-can-protect-their-mental-health-during-coronavirus-covid-19
- How to talk to your child about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Unicef shares 8 tips to help comfort and protect children: https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/how-talk-your-child-about-coronavirus-covid-19
Do you want to contribute fighting against Coronavirus? Bravo! Have a look at this hackaton...
- 48 hours. You and potentially 8 million others. The Covid-19 crisis in Switzerland. In Europe. Worldwide. We stick together. We find solutions! Join us with your skills to take on the challenge now - no matter what your background is. Together we are strong! https://www.versusvirus.ch/
Are you still in the mood for Coronavirus related topics? OK, these ones are pretty good...
- The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/03/feminism-womens-rights-coronavirus-covid19/608302/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share
- Gender equality matters in COVID-19 response: https://www.unwomen.org/en/news/in-focus/in-focus-gender-equality-in-covid-19-response
Do you want to disconnect from Coronavirus? Good choice! The links below are for you...
- Several CERN Clubs are offering online classes to help people stay fit while at home:
- Sabine Massonnet, YOGA teacher at CERN: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-xlVvKynE2r9JTwu8FjHYQ
- Pilates with Yoyo and Zumba with Rachel, from the Fitness Club at CERN: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCIuNsoeqjOja6X9b4gEpilBeKSobwB3o
- Dancing while confined on a chair is also possible: Check the result of a contemporary dance movement by Anne Teresa de Keersmacher: https://www.rosas.be/en/news/814-dance-in-times-of-isolation.
- Mitigating Unwanted Biases with Adversarial Learning - Often we read about biases in training data for deep learning which then leads to unfairness in the trained algorithms. We have found an interesting article about using adversarial learning to remove biases in datasets: https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.07593
- Ursula Kroeber Le Guin (1929–2018) was a major American science fiction and fantasy author. She is best known for her Earthsea novels for young adults and her Hainish Cycle of science fiction novels about various planets with humanoid inhabitants seeded from the same genetic stock but with differing societies (and sometimes evolved or deliberately altered biologies). Her leading characters are often social scientists, particularly anthropologists. I recommend tthe short novel "The Wild Girls": https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Girls-Outspoken-Authors/dp/1604864036
- If you want to know more about Ursula K. Le Guin, there is a great documentary: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/worldsofursulakleguin
- The life of two-time Nobel Prize winner Marie Curie unfolds as she confronts personal tragedies and overcomes social barriers in the world of science. Available in Netflix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJRElIo2K8
- Metropolitan Opera: Met hopes to brighten the lives of our audience members even while our stage is dark. https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/
We wish you all a healthy and relaxing weekend,
Maria on behalf of WIT SC