Here is our collection for the week:
Read & Watch
- Let's welcome Estonia as CERN Associate Member in reading some of its famous women
- The European Particle Physics Strategy Update 2018-2020 is a big deal for CERN: here the document.
- Women AI Academy, founded on the principle of a new working culture of digital technology to enable women to build successful digital technical careers in AI. And the article where we found it.
- Eight ways you can be a women’s rights advocate today, and every day
- Hedy Lamarr, inventor and actress and a movie about her (Thank you to this nice twiki !)
- Something on the british Women’s Engineering Society
- An entire column about patriarchy
- More about our recent guest Angela Saini and her books: Inferior and Superior.
We are still working on her "Friday Links" and the event recording - we will let you know when they are available!
- Are white men prepared to support black men and women or will they abandon their humanity out of fear? An opinion.
- An example of network of centres of excellence enabling Africa’s talented students to become innovators: AIMS.
- CERN ‘Webfest’ !
What is it? Participants work on creative project in small teams, often designing web and mobile applications that help people engage with CERN’s research, physics, or even science in general will be carried out as an online event and we are more than excited to welcome you as a participant or mentor. Examples of previous projects: from physics-themed video games to cheap mobile-phone cosmic-ray detectors, and from skills-sharing platforms to tools for translating sign language to text.
Can I participate? Anyone, from anywhere in the world, provided they are aged 16 years or above, is welcome to take part. Mentors and mentees are welcomed!
What about a theme? The theme for this year’s event is ‘working together apart: accelerating collaboration’
You convinced me.. when? The weekend of 27-28 June
Ok, I register!
- EQUALS in Tech Awards !
What is it? It's an award, clearly, but also with cash prize.
Who can be nominated? Individuals and organizations can nominate their own initiatives or those of others for an award in 4 different categories: Access, Skills, Leadership, Research.
What are they given for? They are given every year to organizations and individuals working to help girls and women gain equal internet access, digital skills and opportunities in the tech industry.
You almost convinced me with this one as well.. timeline? From 9 June 2020 until 1 August 2020.
Ok, I nominate someone!
Have a good weekend everyone,
on behalf of WIT steering committee